The set up
The Trumpification of American politics took a surreal turn this weekend when Scott Walker, an ever-desperate member of the trailing Republican presidential peloton, tried to out-wall the competition.
We have sunk this far.
“We don’t talk about the Northern border,” Todd told Walker. “If this is about securing the border from terrorists, you want to build a Northern border wall too?”
“Some people have asked us about that in New Hampshire,” Walker answered. “They raised some very legitimate concerns, including some law enforcement folks that brought that up to me at one of our town hall meetings about a week and a half ago. So that is a legitimate issue for us to look at.”
At this point, the Republican presidential race basically exists as an academic exercise for American humorists.
So here’s my contribution
Five jokes on the Canadian-border wall
1. The hard part about building a wall along Canada’s border is that all our Mexicans will be needed to build the Southern wall.
2. Canada said it will pay for the Northern wall, as long as we keep Justin Bieber.
3. The Canadian wall is going to separate millions of family members from each other — and that’s just the moose.
4. Did you hear about Scott Walker saying a Canadian border wall is something we should consider? And to think, we made fun of Toronto’s crack-smoking mayor.
5. The Canadian wall will create a significant drop in South Florida’s snowbirds, which could amount to tens of dollars in lost tips to Florida waitresses.
Feel free to join in
If you’ve got some Canadian-border-wall jokes of your own, this is your space to join in.